Saturday, March 11, 2006

Tom Wolfe and the Parenthesis States

Joseph Rago has a column in the Saturday Opinion Journal on Tom Wolfe:
(I)t came out that Mr. Wolfe had voted for the Bush ticket. "The reaction among the people I move among was really interesting. It was as if I had raised my hand and said, 'Oh, by the way, I forgot to tell you, I'm a child molester.'" For the sheer hilarity, he took to wearing an American flag pin, "and it was as if I was holding up a cross to werewolves."

...And so many of them are so caught up in this kind of metropolitan intellectual atmosphere that they simply don't go across the Hudson River. They literally do not set foot in the United States. We live in New York in one of the two parenthesis states. They're usually called blue states--they're not blue states, the states on the coast. They're parenthesis states--the entire country lies in between."
It is my experiece tho that there are plenty of parenthetical wanna-bees in between, and perhaps they are all the more fervently so for their suspicious geographical dislocation.
"I really love this country. I just marvel at how good it is, and obviously it's the simple principle of freedom. . . . Intellectually this is the system where people tend to experiment more and their experiments are indulged. Whatever we're doing I think we've done it extremely, extremely, extremely well." Silence. "These are terrible things to be saying if you want to have any standing in the intellectual world."
Unfortunately that seems to be a terrible truth these days. Good for Wolfe for saying so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home