Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Shirin Ebadi reads of her murder by the Iranian government

What a way to start the day.
It was the transcript of a conversation between a government minister and a member of the death squad during the worst wave of killings. When my eyes first fell on the sentence that would haunt me for years to come, I thought I had misread. I blinked once, but it stared back at me from the page: "The next person to be killed is Shirin Ebadi." Me.

My throat went dry. I read the line over and over again, the printed words blurring before me....My would-be assassin went to the minister of intelligence, requesting permission to carry out my killing. Not during the fasting month of Ramadan, the minister replied.
Thanks to Arts & Letters Daily for the lead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home