Saturday, May 06, 2006

"Somewhat liberal"

Students at the New School for Social Research in NYC are organizing a protest of Senator John McCain as commencement speaker. He is far too conservative for their tastes.

Back in the mid 1980s I attended Parsons School of Design, a part of the New School, and I have one very vivid memory of the politics of the place. The day after the US bombed Libya I attended a speech at the New School by the Libyan Ambassador to the UN.

When Khaddafi's personal representative came on stage the audience rose and broke into thunderous applause. I mentioned it later to a shrink at neighboring NYU and she looked at me in perplexity, commenting "But the New School is Jewish!"

Apparently military dictators are welcomed with applause if only they oppose the US, while a democratically elected Senator merits organized protest. I don't think the New School is liberal. Not unless you define "liberal" as "wallowing in self-hatred".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home