Sunday, September 09, 2012

Honolulu: Only the 10th Most Diverse City in US

That seems at odds with our self-image.
White share: 19.1%
Black share: 1.9%
Hispanic share: 8.1%
Asian share: 52.1%
Other: 18.9%
I suspect that "other" covers Pacific Islanders.

Least Diverse: Laredo, Texas at 95.7% Hispanic.

Given the differences between Asian groups, lumping them all into one category seems a bit ham-handed, but it does have the advantage of tradition.

I noticed that many of the listings are for what I suspect are metropolitan areas which include several cities and may even cross state borders. West Virginia-Ohio seem particularly white. I wonder if that is a product of the demographics of the early settlers coupled with such lousy economies that no one has wanted to move there in several decades.

Huffington Post has the story, based on a study done at Brown University. I can't say that I looked at it closely enough to have even skimmed it, but it looks interesting.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home