Tuesday, April 26, 2005

"Weekend Voodoo Projects"

At least that was how my brain interpreted a book title as I walked past the freebie table at the museum today. Closer inspection revealed it was actually the surely worthy if less intriguing "Weekend Wood Projects".

You can't always be too sure with all the anthropological types floating around there. Several years ago I called in to a radio program in response to their request for "The Toughest Boss You Have Ever Had" and told them quite truthfully that one of my favorite bosses was so tough that she used to keep severed human heads on her desk.

For several seconds there was dead silence while the two hosts absorbed that tidbit, before I explained that she didn't sever them herself: ppl used to bring them in to her. Real ones. As gifts.

My boss worked in the anthropology department and every now and then someone (frequently a missionary's adult kid) with a shrunken head from Mom and Pop's estate would show up with one as a donation, not knowing what else to do with it. After I had the pleasure of cataloging them they would sit on Boss's desk until she had time to take it down to the storeroom. About three showed up over 18 months or so, so my boss did indeed keep severed human heads on her desk. Everybody should have such a great boss. I'm glad I did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home