Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Oriana Fallaci would be in trouble if she wasn't already dying

An Italian judge has ordered her to stand trial on charges of defaming Islam. It was cultured European ways, of course, which led the rustic Founders to incorporate the 1st Amendment into the US Constitution.
...a preliminary judge in the northern Italian city of Bergamo, Armando Grasso...said Fallaci should be indicted.

Grasso's ruling homed in on 18 sentences in the book, saying some of Fallaci's words were "without doubt offensive to Islam and to those who practice that religious faith."
Offensive? No kidding? Imagine how many ppl here would end up in the slammer if they could be prosecuted for offending ppl who practice religious faith.

Fortunately for Fallaci, she is dying of cancer in NY.

I suppose the Italians can try her in absentia and use a conviction to steal, I mean seize, her Italian property such as book royalties. Perhaps they can also put liens against her estate, as well. I don't know what their laws allow, nor what our extradition treaties and laws allow them to do to her here.

There are plenty of ppl in this country who want us to look to enlightened Europe, that continent which has brought us the blessings of both Marxism and fascism, for our political instruction. Fallaci, a far left European with plenty of criticism for the US, has a far better grasp of the obvious than they.

If you haven't read anything of Oriana Fallaci's, she was a lefty journalist, far better known in Europe than she was here, who covered the world's wars and interviewed the politicians who ran them.

After the attacks on NYC and the Pentagon she wrote her response for Italians, calling it"The Rage and the Pride". " She opened it thus:
You ask me to speak, this time. You ask me to break at least this once the silence I’ve chosen, that I’ve imposed on myself these many years to avoid mingling with chattering insects. And I’m going to. Because I’ve heard that in Italy too there are some who rejoice just as the Palestinians of Gaza did the other night on TV. "Victory! Victory!" Men, women, children. Assuming you can call those who do such a thing man, woman, child. I’ve heard that some of the insects of means, politicians or so-called politicians, intellectuals or so-called intellectuals, not to mention others not worthy of the title of citizen, are behaving pretty much the same way. They say: "Good. It serves America right." And I am very very, very angry. Angry with an anger that is cold, lucid, rational. An anger that eliminates every detachment, every indulgence. An anger that compels me to respond and demands above all that I spit on them. I spit on them. Angry as I am, the African-American poet Maya Angelou roared the other day: "Be angry. It’s good to be angry, it’s healthy." And I don’t know whether it’s healthy for me. But I know that it won’t be healthy for them, I mean those who admire Osama Bin Laden, those who express comprehension or sympathy or solidarity for him. Your request has triggered a detonator that’s been waiting too long to explode. You’ll see. You also ask me to tell how I experienced this apocalypse. To give, in other words, my testimony. Very well, I’ll start with that.

I was at home, which is in the center of Manhattan....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home