Sunday, January 27, 2008

Back to the North Shore

We drove out to Malaekahana State Recreation Area again today, this time with Greg, to scope out our final choice of a camping spot for his birthday party next month, stopping along the way to check out a few of our regular spots.

As usual, clik on the pic for a bigger version.

Malaekahana Weathervane:

 


Malaekahana Couple:

 


Pipeliners waiting for the right one:

 


It was windy, but it looked like they were having fun:

 
Posted by Picasa


 


Of course, we had to stop to make sure that Fumi, our favorite Black-Crowned Night Heron, was still in good form. He was, so we all relaxed and had shrimp plates for lunch. It turned out that one can order the Garlic Butter Shrimp plate cooked with oil instead of butter, making it at least a bit less deadly, and less guilt inducing. Fumi, tho, being a purist, had shrimp sashimi.

 
Posted by Picasa

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you're naming individual birds now?

Great picture of Fumi. It looks like you reduced the colors in the background without disturbing the foreground. Nice effect.

Monday, January 28, 2008 at 8:18:00 AM HST  
Blogger TTB said...

Thanks, Dan.

Well, it IS Fumi's shrimp farm, and this guy is always in the same place by the street side parking lot waiting for a suicidal shrimp or a minnow to cruise by, so I decided that it must be his shrimp farm. Hence: Fumi.

The background: Actually, all I did other than cropping a little was to pump up the contrast with Picassa by intensifying the shadows a little. That also intensified the colors, too.

The water was quite muddy yesterday, tho, so I think what we are seeing is the muddy brown water combined with refections of the blue sky and white clouds.

Of course, I also got lucky with the auto focus and, since this was hand held, the lack of camera jiggle at max non-degrading telephoto, which I suppose is around 8X. I shot a couple dozen or more pics- this was the best.

It was pretty windy, so I braced my legs against the parking lot rail, but I still had problems. A bunch of pics were blurred from camera movement, which is one reason I shot so many.

Also, the lighting seems to have been a bit of luck: on most pics of Fumi some of the white on the neck is burned out. No detail. On this one only a little bitty spot of that, tho I did have to darken the back and top of the head a bit more than I would have preferred in order to see some of the white feather detail. If I'd been working in Photoshop I could have had it both ways.

Out at Pipeline it was also extremely windy, so I braced my hands against a sign post. It helped a lot, but I think the best pics aren't quite as sharp as last week's, when it was less breezy and I used a tripod.

Monday, January 28, 2008 at 10:27:00 AM HST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home