Thursday, September 25, 2014

The Mystery Decoys of Lake Koshkonong, Wisconsin

Joe Engers over at DECOY Magazine sent a link to this video, which I hadn't seen before. It amplifies a post I did some time back on a mystery decoy from Lake Koshkonong which walked into the Edgerton decoy show years ago.

My favorite is on the second shelf from the top, far left: I tried to buy it, to no avail. It has wonderful lines, and a great head. Above it is another favorite.



For those interested in Koshonong decoys, there is a Facebook page. Little by little, more information shall come out.

My guess is that almost none of the surviving early Koshkonong decoys were made elsewhere, but were modeled on Upper Chesapeake Bay and Susquehanna River decoys brought out by early sport hunters. Else wise, why don't decoys by the same carvers show up on the Chesapeake? While they are very similar, they are not the same, and some of the Koshkonong pieces, like my two favorites, are far finer. It's a shame there aren't scores more of them.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home