Thursday, March 03, 2005

If you are interested in the 1st Amendment...

...you better write your Senator and Congressman about this. Talk about myriad regulations. King George wasn't better than these control freaks.


Click here: The coming crackdown on blogging Newsmakers CNET News.com

UPDATE: Letter to Senator Russ Feingold:

Dear Senator Feingold,

I am writing you to oppose any regulation of the Internet in the interest of campaign finance reform.

I understand that there is a movement to regulate some blogging as contributions to political campaigns. I am opposed to such regulation.

I have recently started my own blog, and I appreciate just what a monstrous damper any regulation would put on my own writing: Suddenly I would have to concern myself with the complexities of federal regulation of political speech. No longer could I assume I have a right to say what I want, where I want, or to include a link to any site which I want.

Senator, do you have any idea what an attack on free speech that would be? I understand that you and others may be concerned about campaign expenditures. I, however, am concerned about violating your federal laws. Am I to shut up rather than run the risk of running afoul of federal speech regulations? Am I to spend time and effort finding out just what I am allowed to say?

I am a single person, trying to be informed about political issues, and writing my comments on the Internet for those who might be interested. Telling me and those like me, whose resources are trivial, that we must spend our time seeking out and understanding federal law before we can speak on political issues absolutely appalls me.

I urge you to attack any movements to further restrict Americans' right to free speech.

Thankyou very much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home